Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Reanimation of the Clock, Part II

Prior to photographing Ground Zero, I wrote:

"Ground Zero is a missed opportunity for a memorial and triumphant architectural response to the terrorist attack of September 11, 2001.The time that has lapsed, the general depressing nature of the site, the attraction of marginal characters to the area and -- yes -- the palpable void, contribute to a mood of despair that the camera cannot fail to capture."

At that time, I identified the defining characteristic of Ground Zero as empty space, the absence of what had been. My initial inspiration was to address this void. As I wrote in my previous post, the act of photographing Ground Zero forced me to widen my focus and concept of the area.

Here are the six photos which did not make the final cut:








No comments: